The Harvard Model United Nations 2018 was held at Hyderabad between 12th August and 15th August, 2018. Eleven students from VPMS, Pune attended the same and participated with enthusiasm at all the committee sessions.
The students were-
- Rumaan Khan from XII B – Arab League, representing Sudan as a delegate.
- Tanvi Godiwala from XII B – United Nations Development Program, delegate for Ecuador
- Avner Sehgal from XII B – Legal Committee, delegate for Ecuador
- Tejas Manjunath from XII B -UNICEF, delegate for Sudan
- Shashwat Ratna from XII A – International Organisation on Migration, delegate for Ecuador
- Aradhana Vaishnav from XII B- Commission on the Status of Women, delegate for Ecuador
- Priti Patil from XII B- International Monetary Fund, delegate for Sudan
- Pratyush Phetwani from XII B- Social, Humanitarian and Cultural Committee, delegate for Ecuador
- Mrunmayee Nerlikar from XII A- Disarmament and International Security Committee, delegate for Ecuador
- Madhurika Abhyankar from XII A- World Health Organisation , delegate for Georgia
- Anand Menon from X D – Special Political and Decolonisation Committee, delegate for Ecuador.
The students were accompanied by Ms. Bharati Kudchadker as their Faculty Adviser.
The students learnt a lot in the four days. They all got the opportunity to speak multiple times, both in the moderated as well as the un- moderated caucuses; they raised motions, passed resolutions, discussed issues at length and arrived at conclusions. They learnt about negotiation and collaboration and honed their communication skills. They overcame their fear of public speaking and spoke confidently in front of a large and learned audience. They made new friends from different schools, states and countries. They learnt to adjust, tolerate and accommodate everyone’s needs. They also learnt how to behave and deal with crises situations. They did a lot of research on their respective topics and submitted their position papers on the same. They learnt to place the larger interest of the committee first, rather than promoting their individual interests. They learnt tact and diplomacy, how to assert themselves without being rude and how to prove their point without being condescending or patronising. They also learnt humility and patience to listen to other people’s opinions.
In addition, they attended the Leadership Forums that were held post the day long committee sessions. Eminent speakers like Mr. A S Kiran Kumar, Ex-Chairman, Indian Space Research Organisation, Ms. Shobha Mishra Ghosh, Asst Secretary General, FICCI, New Delhi, Dr. Sharon Branhardt, Director Centre for Experimental Social Sciences, CESS Nuffield-FLAME Uniersity and Mr. Chandramohan Gupta, Director Corporate Affairs, Coca-Cola addressed the students and inspired them to work towards a sustainable future while becoming problem solvers. The students were greatly motivated by the Act to Impact program of the HMUN and learnt valuable life lessons from the same.
All in all it was a great learning experience for them and they received a deeper insight into the functioning of the United Nations and grew more aware about the problems faced by India and the world.